The LSA Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) was initiated in 1984 with the purchase of 60 percent of the company stock from the founder of the company, Larry Seeman, followed a few years later by the purchase of the remaining 40 percent, establishing LSA as a 100 percent employee-owned firm. LSA became an ESOP to satisfy the entrepreneurial desire of professionals to benefit in the ownership of the firm in which they practice. At LSA, we have a commitment to be accountable to one another because we are all “owners” and everyone has a stake in the firm’s success. All LSA employees benefit from the success of the firm.
The ESOP has also become the dominant piece of LSA’s deferred income strategies to build a personal estate for retirement. LSA distributes its profits through multiple deferred income plans that reward all employees equivalently through a percentage of income. This has created an attractive benefit that allows LSA to retain key employees for extended tenures. Approximately 30 percent of LSA employees have been with the company for over 15 years.
The ESOP also provides for generational succession, which is important to professionals and allows the continuation of the excellent reputation of the company.
The LSA Green Team participates in a variety of volunteer and community service events, including beach clean—ups, habitat restoration events, and E-waste recycling drives with various organizations. The Green Team regularly updates a “Green Calendar” that provides LSA staff with environmentally-related events throughout the surrounding area.
Reducing LSA’s Environmental Footprint, One Step at a Time
The LSA Green Team partners with maintenance staff to improve facility management. In doing so, the LSA Green Team has implemented initiatives such as office-wide recycling, low-flow faucets, automatic light switches, and environmentally responsible cleaning/post-consumer content cleaning products. Additionally, the LSA Green Team encourages staff to reduce its carbon footprint and operate efficiently through efforts such as double-sided printing whenever possible, turning off lights and appliances when not in use, using reusable dishware and utensils, purchasing reusable office supplies, and carpooling to meetings and events. Our Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility Plan is both measurable and practical, and it has been wholeheartedly adopted by each office. LSA’s Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility Plan can be found here.
Education and Employee Engagement
The LSA Green Team has implemented a variety of initiatives to encourage employee engagement with environmental sustainability initiatives in the office, at home, and in the community. LSA staff receives a weekly email update that includes a Green Tip or Green Fact. The Green Team also provides a forum where employees can meet to discuss ideas as to how to improve sustainability efforts in the office and beyond.
As a firm that specializes in diversified environmental consulting services, LSA has the opportunity to demonstrate its commitment to the environment not only through work as a leader in its field, but also through participation in community service events. The Green Team provides a means of implementing these volunteer initiatives in a way that also encourages employee participation and engagement.
LSA has participated in several environmentally focused community service events in the surrounding community, including Earth Day initiatives, habitat restorations, and cleanups.
Earth Day Events: For Earth Day, the Green Team held a “Dark Day” to raise awareness among employees, clients, and the community regarding energy conservation. For the entire work day, employees were encouraged to turn off their lights, unplug unnecessary devices, and conserve energy wherever possible. Compared to an average of previous years’ energy usage on the same day, the Irvine Office reduced its energy consumption by over 10 percent for the “Dark Day.”
International Coastal Cleanup Day: Each year, the Ocean Conservancy works with organizations like the California Coastal Commission to host the world’s largest volunteer event: International Coastal Cleanup Day. Employees participated in several cleanups throughout Southern California, working alongside members of the community to remove trash from river mouths, beaches, and other coastal areas to prevent ocean pollution.
Habitat Restoration at Newport Back Bay: LSA employees volunteered at two habitat restoration events at Newport Back Bay. At each event, LSA staff helped plant drought-tolerant species native to the Orange County area, remove invasive weed species, and water newly planted vegetation.
As employee owners of a diversified consulting firm specializing in environmental, transportation, and planning services, our mission is to provide our clients with service and responsiveness, experience and expertise, all of which are based on a foundation of integrity and trust.